Projector screen mount

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Due to the fireplace, I can't wall mount an electric projector screen that is 123" long. I have to ceiling mount the projector 7" from the wall. The next beam (2x4) is about 15" inches from the wall (projector runs parallel to beam). I placed two blocks (2x4) with the 4" facing down for more surface perpendicular to the beams (see red border from drawing). Half the distance of the blocks will be the anchor spot. Each block is about 60" inches from the side wall.

Is it strong enough for a 55 lbs projector screen? Just making sure it doesn't sag overtime.

proj.jpg

living_room.jpg

Last edited:
These blocks will go against the ceiling and the screws that hold them will go thru the drywall and into the joists? I think that’s what I got from your post.

If you use large deck screws and pilot drill your holes yes this will hold the screen no problem.

It won’t look that good IMHO. I have seen many build down a valance that matches in with the room and then have the screen inside the valance to try and hide it.

Your room is very white how do you plan on dealing with ambient light?

These blocks will go against the ceiling and the screws that hold them will go thru the drywall and into the joists? I think that’s what I got from your post.

If you use large deck screws and pilot drill your holes yes this will hold the screen no problem.

It won’t look that good IMHO. I have seen many build down a valance that matches in with the room and then have the screen inside the valance to try and hide it.

Your room is very white how do you plan on dealing with ambient light?

I already run the block inside the attic and anchored them to the joist. They are not visible. My concern is that will it be strong enough since the joist is only 2x4 running across 14 ft.

The pic is an old one from the previous owner. I will paint it darker. Below is a pic of the old house.

old_house.jpg

Last edited:
The joists are not really joist is my guess but the bottom of a truss. The truss is quite strong and the screen weight won’t be a problem as long as how you attached them in the attic is strong.

The joists are not really joist is my guess but the bottom of a truss. The truss is quite strong and the screen weight won’t be a problem as long as how you attached them in the attic is strong.

Thanks for the feedback.

Because they were 2x4s Bud assumed they were trusses, He is likely correct but no garrentees. If in doubt run 2x4 across the top of the joists or trusses to spread the load to the next ones or lay a 2x4 flat on top of the two you are attached to and screw them down so they look like a (T)

Latest posts

Back