Killer Honeysuckle Trunk

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKLehmer

Reaction score
Alright this is my first post here, I've already gotten a ton of awesome information, but I need some help with this one. I just bought a house, and it had this giant honeysuckle plant (more like 20 plants) that had grown to a height of about 30 feet. After an entire 4th of July weekend spent hacking and chipping it, we are now left with the stump. Now normally I would call in a truck, wrap a chain around it and call it a day. While we were trying to axe it out, we quickly realized that not only had the plants knotted themselves together above, but underneath it is just a giant tangle of roots and trunks. So while a normal plant would just have a single root system, this is completely tangled together, and a giant mess. Would you guys think I need to be worried about damaging the truck by trying to pull this thing out?

tmpphpZj98y6.jpg

Hello Paul:
Yes, it could cause some damage. I would take the easy way out and put salt around the thrench to kill it out. Later, you could just set it on fire.
Glenn

Or, you could rent a stump grinder and just grind them out.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I called a stump removal company and they gave me an *estimate* and he stressed that it was just an estimate, to remove that stump, another smaller honeysuckle clumb, and another "real" tree stump in the front yard for $100. Is that as much of a deal as it sounded to me? I looked into renting a small stump grinder and they were around $60 a day. I've never used a tool like that, and I'd like to watch someone use one before I try it myself, so thats why I figured I'd just pay the $100.

I've dug lots of honeysuckle. You're almost done digging!!
Sorry for the lat post. At this point pull it out with a garden tractor of your neighbors

Back