Leaking Fibreglass Balutub Need Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookerz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm having an some trouble with a fibreglass bathtub,
it has been corked [mastic] many times, but after a few weeks the water starts coming through where the mastic joins the bathtub and wall and leaking downstairs.

The leak mainly starts from where the two walls meet [but around the frame of the bathtub]

I have also put up some images
Flickr: imagekitchen's Photostream

I think it might be cause the bathtub moves [the fibreglass bathtub is quite thin]
Does anyone know of some way of creatively / cost effectively fix the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

C

Hello, Best bet is to apply some good quality Tub/Shower caulk against the bottom edge. I know it doesn't look good and it will get dirty looking but the problem is that the water "wicks up" behind the walls and down. Thats unless it is leaking through the grouted areas. This needs to be sealed as well. Try and see if that works. ;)

Also, if you think the tub is moving, can you get behind, under or around it to sure it up some. Maybe apply some spray foam? The tub itself should also be setting on a ledge to stop from bouncing up and down.(2x4 or 1x4) This is suppose to be installed as tub is being set so the tub sets on a firm ledge, then it gets nailed to the wall.

Last edited:
It has been sealed many times, and each time the water eventually starts leaking again.
The most recent one that was used was "Durabond Lexel Super Elastic Sealant" but after a few days that started leaking too !

Wow..sure its not leaking around the faucet area? Sorry, I tried to help :confused:

Here's what your dealing with!

Water has been allowed to wick into the substrate behind the tiles (if those are tiles) and is now saturating the substrate. Until all of that is dried you will never get any new caulk to stay in place.

Remove the caulk, put a heater or a fan in there for a few days, that's correct: "Days", in an attempt to dry the walls behind the tiles. Just because everything on the surface appears to be dry doesn't mean it is dry. Allow the device to run 24 hours a day.

THEN, use any tub and tile caulk to again seal the joints. The caulk will stay when it is finally given a fair chance to work like it should.

It also looks like there are other trouble-spots behind those walls. Maybe a complete rehab is in order.:)

What Bud said ^^^^^

Plus this one additional tip.

When you caulk (cork) fill the tub with water first. This additional weight will cause the tub to possibly pull down from the tiles. Caulk, let it dry for a day then drain the tub. The tub, if its moving will compress the dried caulk when empty and when weight is in the tub it wont pull away the caulk as easily.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back