Electricians help needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonester

Reaction score
I'm trying to install this 6" LED recessed light in my family room and have been unsuccessful in getting it to turn on. This looks to be a fairly simple and straightforward installation but I'm stumped.

My house is an older house. It does not have a ground wire going to the existing overhead track lights. I have 2 pigtail connections going to this new led light and just screwed the ground wire from the light to the metal j-box. When I turned the circuit back on and flip the light switch, all the existing track lights work, except the new LED light. I've never installed LED recessed lighting before. Is there some type of special requirements for LED lights?

This is the LED recessed light I purchased:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-Can-Disk-Light-CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26/203596700

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Maybe somebody here can tell the problem from your description, but I'm betting you need to add some detail. What makes you think that the ground wire is the problem? Can you provide pictures of the pigtails, or at least explain where the hot line is coming from? Is there a switch in the circuit? etc, etc, etc.

Nothing special but maybe the box was not meant to have a light connected. The ground will not prevent it from working.

I'm trying to install this 6" LED recessed light in my family room and have been unsuccessful in getting it to turn on. This looks to be a fairly simple and straightforward installation but I'm stumped.

My house is an older house. It does not have a ground wire going to the existing overhead track lights. I have 2 pigtail connections going to this new led light and just screwed the ground wire from the light to the metal j-box. When I turned the circuit back on and flip the light switch, all the existing track lights work, except the new LED light. I've never installed LED recessed lighting before. Is there some type of special requirements for LED lights?

This is the LED recessed light I purchased:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-Can-Disk-Light-CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26/203596700

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

The light fixture does not care if there is a grnd. connection, however, you might.
What was there before or is this a remodel fixture?
Did you test the circuit before you installed the fixture to ascertain whether or not you are splicing into the switch leg correctly?

Back