New granite counter tops are a problem!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgriffin

Reaction score
I recently had my laminate countertops replaced with granite. There is a 9' bar that apparently is only being held up by re-enforced plywood. When the tile layer set the tile in position the plywood bowed! He placed a scrap 2" X 4" under the middle of it to spport it and left! Any ideas about what I should do now?

reinforced how or with what ? who designed the c-t ? who thought a 2" X 4" under top would be sufficient ? who calculated the dead loads ? most importantly, who paid the bill ?????????????????????

It sounds like you had granite tiles installed, or was it slab granite? Either way the responsibility falls on the person that built/designed the counter top.

A little hard to understand what you have. Do you have 9 ft of bar with out any supports to the floor or angle braces to the wall and how deep is the bar?

How about a picture. Has anything fallen or broken ? IF the plywood bowed, I would think it would've needed to be replaced. How much overhang is there. What's supporting the 9' bar ?

Back