wholes in the wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yan

Reaction score
Hi, I have this problem. We have a wide window and this bar that the curtain hangs on has a bracket in the middle - it wouldn't hold on just two brackets at the ends. So it started falling out, this middle bracket. I took it out and wanted to put it back in near the original place, about an inch to the side. It wouldn't hold there either, seems like the drywall is very soft there. I tried one more location, but it just fall out. I tried using these:
http://www.merlinstelzer.com/partimages/products_drywall_anchors_2.jpg
and these:
http://www.smithfast.com/images/ezanchor.gif
anchors, neither one would stay in. Can anyone please recommend anything that may work?

Thanks.

My concern would be why is the drywall soft. You could have a moisture problem. You need to find out which means cutting a section of drywall out from stud to stud( that is if there is no header up there) and inspect. if its just terrible drywall job up there then proceed with patching it up with a new piece of drywall and finish. You could put some solid backing in the wall between studs before patching in up then you would not ever have to worry.

My concern would be why is the drywall soft. You could have a moisture problem. You need to find out which means cutting a section of drywall out from stud to stud( that is if there is no header up there) and inspect. if its just terrible drywall job up there then proceed with patching it up with a new piece of drywall and finish. You could put some solid backing in the wall between studs before patching in up then you would not ever have to worry.

I was a bit concerned about why the drywall is soft, fearing moisture to be the cause. Good to hear it could also be just poor quality drywall. How do I find studs though - my electronic stud finder couldn't detect anything? Should I just drill test wholes until I find the studs? Could it be that there is no studs at all?

If you can not find any studs with your stud finder then use a light and flash it sideways agaisnt the wall to see if you can see any nail pops other wise test wholes is about all you can do other then just pick a spot and make a small square whole 4" x 4". Now you will be able to fish a wire to the left or right and hopefully you find something. The square whole will also allow you to see if there is any mosture or wet spots in there.

If you can not find any studs with your stud finder then use a light and flash it sideways agaisnt the wall to see if you can see any nail pops other wise test wholes is about all you can do other then just pick a spot and make a small square whole 4" x 4". Now you will be able to fish a wire to the left or right and hopefully you find something. The square whole will also allow you to see if there is any mosture or wet spots in there.

Thanks! The fact that it's an outside wall and there is insulation under the drywall - does it change the approach in any way?

Try those molly type anchors that have the large threads on them. You just screw them into the drywall with a phillips driver. The larger ones will hold 60 pounds!!! They also sell a smaller one--places like Home Depot. I've used these anchors for years and they REALLY work well.

Back