Can the base of this window frame be repaired or does it have to be replaced?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edanthony

Reaction score
Hi there! I have attached a few pictures for you to take a look at and perhaps help me out..
I painted this house 3 years ago and noticed the base of the one side of the window frame was starting to rot. We thought by removing the few dead pieces and filling it with poly filla would be sufficient enough at the time. Well 3 years have passed and as you can see it has continued to rot.

I'm worried that if I cut the piece out or remove the 2x4 completely to replace it with a new piece, the window may come loose. It's a big solid piece of glass measuring at about 7'x4'.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

DSCF7847.JPG

DSCF7848.JPG

DSCF7851.JPG

Poly fill it again or remove the window and replace the wood, there's not many options here.

Have the same problem. We used a car jack to stabilize the window along with putting screws in the side to stabilize the window while we worked on the wood beneath it. Have got it framed with hardiplank, and hubby is currently bricking in the base so that we don't EVER have this problem again. That 50 year old brick molding that they sell at Home Depot and Lowes should trim it out and you shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time. Many thanks for the picture. Good luck and hope to hear from you.

Latest posts

Back