Vapor barrier

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
Best plastic to use on crawlspace bare ground? Also best type of tape to use to tape it together and to the underspending
wall?

If it is on bare ground, use something like 10 mil poly that has more resistance to crawling traffic ot pentration from angular stones and tools.

Not a big difference in cost, especially when the labor is free.

Dick

Good luck trying to find 10 mil. plastic.
6 mil. black works fine and use 16" long insulation hangers to hold it in place. Make sure to add extra's near the crawl space door.
I've done at least 100 homes with plastic and never had the 6 mil. fail.
If been under hundreds of houses and seen it done differant ways but the ones I see with the taped up joints and sealed to the foundation all had squecking floors. Seems the crawl space was to dry.
I just over lap the plastic at least 12" and run it up to the foundation not up on it and have yet to see it not work out.
I live in a very low laying area and most often have to add sand under the house to raise the grade above the outside grade. If that's not done then you just made an indoor pool.

I used a 6mil plastic on the walls and floor. I am using ground cover stakes (pins) to hold the bottom plastic sheet in place. Pins are overlapped with the top plastic sheet and sealed. I used 6mil because do not plan on going under the house often. Make sure to clean all sharp objects out before adding the plastic.

Back