Scaffold Options

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twind613

Reaction score
Oh, the joys of home ownership! Looks like I'll need to replace the fascia on my old house. I've never used scaffolding and after researching the options, it "seems" that buying/renting a pump jack system might be my easiest and least costly alternative.
Given the slope of the ground and the height on the east side, is this actually my best option? Also...how does one repair the nail or screw holes in old aluminum siding from bracing the scaffolding to the structure? Any suggestions from experienced scaffold users would be appreciated.
Thanks
Barry

House south side.jpg

I would suggest a couple extension ladders and ladder jacks with pick boards. Easier to move than scaffolding.

Just my :2cents:

I agree...on this application just borrow or rent a couple of ladders and ladder jacks. Buy some 2x8 planks or rent an aluminum one. You'll only have to dig out some of the ground for better footing. If you do 3 you'll have complete access for the entire side.

Thanks guys. I'll look into that option. Not familiar with ladder jacks, but will ask the google about it directly! :)

Most of the siding guys around here use those but they use them on the inside of the ladder between the ladder and the house, then they can climb the same ladder and safely step onto the scafolding.
Most are adjustable so they can be used on either side of the ladder.

I would use ladder jacks and rent an aluminum walk board.I would not try and use 2X8's.Especially the way lumber is today and 2X8's are to narrow if you are not use to doing this.If you do use a wood walkboard make sure you get SYP not SPF.And go 2X10's with plenty of support.Don't overspan them.Might even nail a couple 2X4's to the bottom of them to stiffen them.

I was installing new fascia on my 2 story house, so I was about 14 feet above the ground and living on the ocean I got a lot of foot traffic back and forth from the beach. One warm spring day as I was working, a group of 3 teenage girls were walking by. It was obvious that by their wet tee shirts they head been in the water and the water was cold.
Trying to be subtle and enjoy the view as my house was only 6 feet back off the street. I watched them and not where I was stepping. I stepped on the end of a plank and the other end canter-levered up and off the ladder jack. The plank fell one way and I crashed down on top of it. Of course it all happened just as the girls were in front of my house.
All of us were a bit mortified and lucky for me my front yard was soft sand and I wasn't hurt. Though I did feel like a damn fool, I did have a chuckle and my own expense.
Needless to say....pay attention when you're up on ladders.

Something caused his center of gravity to change. I’m just not sure it was stepping on the end of the plank. :p Glad you didnt break anything off in the fall.

Mako...thanks for the advise. That has been on my mind, as I moved some 2x8's recently and they were very springy.
Beachguy...you are lucky not to have hurt anything more than your pride!

We build wood scalolding all the time and use 2x10 but the supprts are never more than 6 ft apart and the 2x10s are doubled up. If you rent ladders and jacks rent the plank too.

I thought i was going to hear some
bow wow chica wow wow music:banana:

Back