Room under garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiresl

Reaction score
I have a storage room under my garage with a dirt floor and am worried about Radon gas. The problem is that I would like to have a concrete floor poured but am not sure how they would get the concrete in there and also how it would dry. Has anyone run into this before? Does it cost alot of money? Is there anyone who could pump concrete through some sort of hose? Is this even possible? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are worried about radon gas then buy a simple detection kit to see if it's an issue. Yes, they could get the concrete in there, but it would be a time consuming job and would be on the expensive side. I'm not sure if it's possible, it should be. The drying time might take longer depending on the conditions of humidity and temperature.

cork's right - if radon's an issue, your local h-ware or apron store'll likely have test kits for you,,, failing them, try your health dept !

simple work - vapor barrier, expansion jnt mtl, conc ( w/o mesh/fiber, jnt pattern if nec, fresh air exchanger,,, you'd be amaz'd how much conc 4 amigos w/5gal bkts can carry in a day :trophy:

figure here, in atl, garage floor's 10 x 24 x 4" thick = approx 3cy conc @ $ 110 cy + trlr conc pump 1/2 d @ $750 + 1/4 cy conc to prime pump + placer/finishers,,, time the setup's done & the trk's there, the amigos'll be sitting under a tree drinking lemonade :rofl:

We pump concrete through a hose all the time, that's how all the high rises are build in the city, a giant crane truck with a long hose and strong pump to get it up 40 stories.
Restricted workspace do make it harder and drive the cost up a bit.

It is possible to pour in concrete just like what Frosbite mentioned. You can do it by yourself or hire someone to do it. The cost will depend on the size of the area and yes on the difficulty of the work to be done.

---------------

Mary Henderson is a Publisher of Storage Shed Reviews | StorageSheds360.com and is an expert on the best storage sheds to meet your needs. Visit her informative site for storage sheds, greenhouses, generators, garage shelving and cabinets. For a superb storage shed look at http://www.csnsheds.com/Handy-Home-18215-0-HHP1003.html?SSAID92123&refidSS392123>

when i work'd in the city, schwing & tower cranes were our best friends :welcome: but this guy's in nova scotia, fergawdsake,,, there may not even be a conc pump in the province,,, don't remember many mountains, either,,, they may have wheelbarrows, however :trophy:

Back