Wood fired boilers.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspectorD

Housebroken
Reaction score
So it's the middle of summmmmmer, why would I wonder about a wood fired boiler?

Winter will be blowin soon and I see the price O gas.:mad:
Then there is the constant running of my logg splitter ...and more gas. Then the tractor to cut those 4 foot lengths with the PTO and belt driven saw blade to cut the logs to fit in the current wood stoves.....:rolleyes: I don't put to much mileage on the chainsaw to do this because they already do enough to cut the trees up to 4 foot logs.More gas AND oil mix and bar lube.... getting my point?

I think the best time to buy one of these will be in the HOT SUMMER when that salesman does not want to be hangin around at the end of some carnival show.

So I have done some research and I like www.centralboiler.com because of the dual fuel...when I get lazy and the 304l stainless steel that is supposed to stand up to heat changes.

Question is ...does anyone have a wood fired boiler...I want to here every-ones opinion...please just post anything you think. Thanx:)

They're very popular here, but I have never owned one.
I hate cutting wood :p

The problems here are usually related to the plumbing from the boiler to the house. Installed properly and given the time and dedication to keep it fired up, you should be fine.

I found out that these dinosaurs need improvement. You will be better off with a really new efficient wood stove. It will use 2 times less wood and is better for the environment.
For basic info go to www.woodheat.org to answer many wood heat questions, and good opinions from what I researched elsewhere to everywhere and back again. Just call me Mr. Bilbo:D

With all those energy issues, check out the woodheat web site for new stuff. And please be smart about hookin up wood stoves, have your fire marshall check it out, if it's not certified by them your insurance WILL not cover your damage in a fire. Don't believe me, ask your insurance provider. They are gettin strict with all the stoves being thrown into action.

Just trying to save you lots of grief after your bad news of having a fire.:eek:

WOOD HEAT
I have used and been involved in selling wood heating equipment. We used to tell the story of the $50,000 wood stove. It seems the guy bought the stove for a thousand, spent another thousand having it installed, bought a $400 chain saw plus $150 of protective equipment, bought a $36,000 4X4 pickup truck to haul the wood in, a $2,000 gator to haul it out of the woods.
I'll bet you can already see where this is going.
He cut a huge tree (without permission of the land owner), it fell across the 4X4 truck (I could go on and on) The cost of the divorce rounded out the rest of the money; or was that $100,000?
Glenn

See ,this is why I love the Ol' timers. They have all the good Tales and lessons to watch out for.

Wood heat is great, if you handle it properly like glenn is leading into. Having a fire in your house...hmm sound safe when there is a hole or crack in your woodstove?
They are not for everyone, but even the pro's get another set of eyes looking at the installation.:D

Back