What Kind of Wood is My Deck Made of?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPD Hockey

Reaction score
First post here and I have read some bad things about pressure washing decks. I am looking to prepare my deck and re-stain it. One side of the deck is fairly shaded from the elements, while the other side has the sun beating down on it all day. It seems the prior owners of the home did a semi-transparent stain on the protected side and used a solid stain or paint on the other side. I'm trying to figure out what kind of wood the deck is and then what I should do to it.

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

Looks like Ipe in the top two pictures. The bottom two...not sure.

Can't tell exact type of wood but according to my opinion it is looks like treated pine.

The wood in the top picture is almost certainly Ipe. The second picture might be Ipe, but the picture is much to small to tell for sure, but since it looks like it is connected to the same section of your deck in the first picture, I would guess it is also Ipe wood.

The bottom two pictures look like completely different wood, but whatever type of wood it is, be careful with whatever deck treatment you decide.

Patio Furniture Nashville

Back