Making A Fence More Sturdy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
I have started constructing my 4ft wood fence. I noticed that the panels shake when I try to move them. I'm sure some movement is normal, but is there any way I can make sure the panel doesn't move quite as much?

I was thinking of driving a steel stake near the middle of each panel and then attaching the stake to the bottom rail of the fence. Didn't know if anyone had any better advice.

Well getting the fence up was half the battle.
When I install my fence posts I pack the dirt around the post solid by using a sledgehammer or axe on the soil around it AS it gets filled in ...about every six inches .
If you do this firmly you should have minimal movement.
Some folks use stones or concret unmixed but I just go with the soil. When it is firmly compacted it does a great job.

Depending on how loose a post remains I may run some watter at the post to compact and settle the dirt further..

Happy tamping.:D

Not only will an inconspicuous rod at the middle of the bottom rail stop movement, it will also keep the bottom rail straighter.

Back