gurgling house trap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
for the last few weeks have heard sounds of water rushing through trap in basement. today, it was gurgling as well. removed trap plate, found the house side plug open--therefore the noise-- and a little sewage in the pit. this was during a washing machine cycle; gurgling seems to come at the end of most of the flow.

Sewer line has to be cleared from roots twice a year; probably due in april. usually i can tell when I heard gurgling in the basement slop sink, but never in the house trap. i have to hope the top of the stack--through the roof--is not blocked, nor the vent just above the trap which goes through the foundation wall. so far no signs of usual backup into slop sink.

We had roofing job last August, but if any debris was accidentally dumped at top of stack probably would have noticed problem by now.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
While it's still not clear why the house trap plug loosened before sewage backed up into the slop sink, we'll assume it wasn't on tight to begin with. Ultimately, it's the same story: roots clogging up the line. Tech came and put a four-inch blade in and cleared it up. When I saw the prices coming in for a new sewer line, and noted that the town will not permit the removal of the street tree that is the cause of the root blockage, I decided to try out RootX in a few weeks and see if that works to keep the old clay line clear. I can do that treatment myself once a year and hopefully it will work.

Back