Hammer drill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulf615

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1440346741.552861.jpg
So i have this old skil hammer drill model #F01264250A and the metal keyed chuck broke. Apon further research i discovered new corded hammer drills cost about 50 to 100 bucks for the cheaper kinds while a new keyless chuck costs about 20 to 30 bucks. Is it even worth saving the drill or should i just get a new one?

I'd put a keyless chuck in it and hang onto it. Although I go to my cordless tools normally, it is nice to have a plug in back up.

I'd put a keyless chuck in it and hang onto it. Although I go to my cordless tools normally, it is nice to have a plug in back up.

Well the new one would also be corded. I was just wondering if its worth 30 bucks to get a brand new drill cus i have no clue how old the one i have is and i dont know when the whole system is goin to give in

Not sure about modern Skil tools but the old ones seem to last. I have my father's Skil drill. I don't use it often, but it still works and it is close to 50 years old.

The chuck takes alot of abuse with a hammer drill, if you use it to drill concrete I doubt the keyless will stand up for long.

The chuck takes alot of abuse with a hammer drill, if you use it to drill concrete I doubt the keyless will stand up for long.

Makes sense i just figured keyed was an older type of a chuck and rarely gets used anymore but now that you point it out, a lot of the new hammer drills have keyed chucks. If the chuck is stronger and cheaper than i guess thats a far better deal.

When keyless first hit the market about 20 years ago, everyone was changing their old drill chucks. I am sure I have a few. Ask any oldtimes you know, you might find one sitting around somewhere.

I have no use for a keyless chuck on any drill I own.

My advice would be to save up some money and buy a new drill kit. A good drill will last you for years (some even last for decades). I own this Makita set (six years and counting), it boasts a brushless motor which promises you efficiency, extra runtime and ultimately longevity.

http://www.gasweld.com.au/dlx2055t-mak

Back