Creating a closet where a window used to be

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbesong

Reaction score
I'm going to be putting a 30" wide x 48" tall closet in my bathroom wall where a window used to be. We had added a garage to that side of the house and removed the window and drywalled over it years ago. There is a cupboard hanging there now, but I think it looks a little too tacked onto the wall and I want to cut away the wall and build a closet that's 18" deep that will hang out into the garage. I plan to build the actual closet of 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed together, then screwing it into the studs in the wall. I don't think any outside (garage side) support will be necessary since it will just hold towels and bathroom supplies. I plan to buy a bifold masonite door and cut it down to 48". I know I'll more than likely have to add some wood to the inside of the bottom since these doors are hollow, but I've done that before on another door, so I don't think that will be a problem. My biggest question is about the best way to insulate it on the garage side. Could I just add furring strips and put rigid foam insulation on it, then put drywall over that (attached to the furring strips)? The garage is unheated and it gets pretty cold in the winter months, so I wondered if the rigid foam would be enough insulation. I would of course caulk all around it before adding the furring strips. What do you think? Just wanted to get some opinions before I knocked a hole in the wall.

Build a real 2x4 wall. Insulate it and put fire rated drywall on the garage side.

i just thought 3/4" plywood might be more sturdy and I wouldn't have to build support under it (it's about a 6' drop to the garage floor from the bottom of the closet). Of course I could always build shelving under that on the garage side as well I guess. You're right with the fire-retardant drywall, too.

Why not go for the whole banana, and make the closet full-height? Having more storage in a bathroom is always nice, and it would save you from messing with door shortening.

problem is that there is a baseboard heater at the bottom of that wall. I was going to put the closet just above the wainscoting since the heater is there.

Using plywood sides attached to studs for support is a good idea, You can use that to hang the floor from. Then build you 2x4 walls insulate and drywall. Filling the joints on the garage side is a must.

i just thought 3/4" plywood might be more sturdy and I wouldn't have to build support under it (it's about a 6' drop to the garage floor from the bottom of the closet). Of course I could always build shelving under that on the garage side as well I guess. You're right with the fire-retardant drywall, too.

Build the plywood box 4 inches larger and install 2x4 inside with insulation and drywall. Being a garage code requires fire rated drywall over the plywood.

Latest posts

Back