Pool Heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGMcCallie

Reaction score
I have a Hayward H250 gas heater that does not hook up to electricity at all.

There is a ground connection on the outside of the metal heater. Does this heater need a ground wire to my grounding rod?

It is served via metal gas piping. The outlet service to my outdoor kitchen is
polypropaline plastic piping not metal.

I have it grounded now with a #10 bare wire figured if it had a place for a ground then it needed one. Am I correct?

Thanks
Tom

That is a BOND wire, NOT a ground wire. it connects to the equipotential bonding grid.
There is NO need for any ground rods for pool equipment. They have NOTHING to do with the bonding grid.

http://ecmweb.com/nec/top-2008-nec-changes

02-19-09Top2008CxsWeb.jpg

©Mike Holt

Mike is this updated NEC Code saying that handrails that you do not have to bond your hand rails and ladders if the metal part does not exceed 4 inches?
Mine is only about 2 inches or 2 1/2 inches but they are bonded.

Thanks for advice. Now I see the difference in bonding and grounding. If you don't have to have a copper rod in the ground and the bonded equipment hooked to it, then I don't see why they did that in my pool 30 some odd years ago. Guess at that time either the code was different or they did not know the code.

This just gives me a place to connect everything to.

Does it hurt anything that the motors, heater and bonding system is connected to this coppy or brass rod?

Tom

The reason they installed ground rods was that they did not know that they were doing. This is a VERY common mistake, and a weird one because ground rods were NEVER required for pool bonding.

Latest posts

Back