Porch Repainting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
The porch needs to be repainted on my house. It is stable and sturdy.

The north facing porch shown gets quite a bit of sunlight in summer, and moisture year-round.

It doesn't look like it was very well prepped or primed when it was painted (assumed to be about 10 years ago). Aside from cleaning, sanding and prepping, are there any other issues I should be aware of as well as paint brands to recommend/avoid?

Thanks!

1-13-2013 Pics 009.jpg

You may find that a solid color stain will last longer than a porch/floor latex paint.
By cleaning, I assume you mean power-washing. Just don't wash too aggresively as to remove wood from the surface.

Yes, definitely wait until it's warm and dry out!

I don't have a pressure washer, and was planning a good old fashioned scrub with a brush and soapy water and hosing it off after a good sanding to remove loose pieces. I'll look into the solid color stain and see what I find.

Thanks!

A power-washer can be rented or borrowed. If the surface gets wet before you paint/stain it, it will raise the grain and a second sanding may be necessary.

Not sure if I want to use a power washer on wood as the possibility for damage is pretty easy, especially with other nearby sections. Any comments on a PSI limit?

I've had good luck with lightly washing some wood items before priming, but will test it first.

Thanks!

work on summer when the wood is really dry, otherwise, painting on wet surface will not give you the effect you want it to have.

Back