Advice for a novice: Water damage throughout house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janette

Reaction score
I own a 1920s Craftsman house in Kansas City, MO. It has an unfinished basement-garage, with a short driveway that slopes from street-level down to the garage door opening. Rain water sometimes comes into the basement under the garage door, but my sump pump typically pumps it out. However, this year was particularly rainy and the basement flooded several times.

Water in the basement has caused mold to grow throughout the basement, plus several concrete-like walls are slowly crumbling due to moisture content.

There's damage upstairs, too. Directly above the garage door, mold has come through the wall. And increased amounts of water in the ground and foundation have caused that side of the house to shift, putting cracks in the walls.

We have a dehumidifier; our insurance won't cover it because the cause is "ground water"; and we've even approached the city for assistance because their sewer drains are misplaced on our street (water rushes into our driveway just feet before the placement of a sewer drain; if the drain were on the other side, our basement would be fine).

We've taken care of the root problem by cleaning out sewer drains farther up the block, plus installed a new sump pump. But obviously we still have lots of carnage.

See pictures here: http://www.houserepairtalk.com/members/janette/albums/water-damage-my-1920s-craftsman-house/

I can't afford to spend the thousands of dollars to hire a professional for ALL of this. What can I do myself, and what do I need to hire professionals for? Thanks for any advice!!

I own a 1920s Craftsman house in Kansas City, MO. It has an unfinished basement-garage, with a short driveway that slopes from street-level down to the garage door opening. Rain water sometimes comes into the basement under the garage door, but my sump pump typically pumps it out. However, this year was particularly rainy and the basement flooded several times.

Water in the basement has caused mold to grow throughout the basement, plus several concrete-like walls are slowly crumbling due to moisture content.

There's damage upstairs, too. Directly above the garage door, mold has come through the wall. And increased amounts of water in the ground and foundation have caused that side of the house to shift, putting cracks in the walls.

We have a dehumidifier; our insurance won't cover it because the cause is "ground water"; and we've even approached the city for assistance because their sewer drains are misplaced on our street (water rushes into our driveway just feet before the placement of a sewer drain; if the drain were on the other side, our basement would be fine).

We've taken care of the root problem by cleaning out sewer drains farther up the block, plus installed a new sump pump. But obviously we still have lots of carnage.

See pictures here: http://www.houserepairtalk.com/members/janette/albums/water-damage-my-1920s-craftsman-house/

I can't afford to spend the thousands of dollars to hire a professional for ALL of this. What can I do myself, and what do I need to hire professionals for? Thanks for any advice!!
sorry, for your loss. not to be nonsensitive. most contractors hate problems like this, that's why they charge so much money. let me throw this at you, fill it in, the basement, not being able to see the whole problem, but it's the same ole same ole, water drainage problem. and forget the city, they are useless mostthe time, and insurance claims, i wouldn't go there in these times for nothing that is not permanently fixable. fill that money hole up.

Janette - I think you need to set some priorities for you house. I would suggest you hire a home inspector. There are several who participate in this forum. Ask the home inspector to give you their report but also help you prioritize your repairs. Water is the first thing that destroys houses. Control that first. repair roofs and flashing, drainage, etc. Essentially make sure your house is fixed outside. The aesthetic stuff is easy if your not having problems outside.

Back