Noisy bathroom exhaust

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteam

Reaction score
I have a question about the noise coming from the bathroom exhaust in a senior citizen apartment complex, I generally do the yard work at one that is close to where I work and at times the nurses ask if I can help with tasks inside the building, 3 or 4 exhaust or vent ducts have louder noise coming from them, while the other bathrooms are much quieter, I took one cover off and all I saw was like a heater duct with no fan, there are two in each bathroom, I assume one is exhaust and one is return, there is one larger square and one that is shaped like a furnace duct in each bathroom. Trying to figure out where the excessive noise is coming from in some and not in other rooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Perhaps they have and inline fan in a pipe somewhere or one fan that services more than one bathroom. Holding a kleenex up to it while it is running should tell you which is exhaust and how well it works, after that you would have to do some detective work.

You'll probably find that it's just an issue of how close the bathrooms are to the main exhaust fan(s). Instead of each unit having it's own small exhaust fan motor you'll have trunk stacks with one or more larger exhaust motors that handle the entire building.

Ok that helps,I will investigate a little farther with the info you guys have give me, thanks.i do know that it seems to be more of a nuisance to those that help clean or assist the elder with showering, the owners don't think it is a big deal, so we shall see how far addressing the situation goes.

The owners of the facility do not think that the noisy fans are a priority so the ball is in their court and until it gets much worse the problem won't be addressed.

Mine make more and more noise as they age and the motor wears. I've replace three motors over 34 years. I take the motor out and take it to the appliance repair store for another one.

I have a question about the noise coming from the bathroom exhaust in a senior citizen apartment complex
A fan is supposed to make 'white noise' and YouTube will let you hear how this sounds. Other noises mean trouble.

I like it when they have them set up in the store yopu you can here how quiet they are.
some times too much noise is caused by exhaust pipe to small or to long or to many bends and elbows. Or even the flapper valve can get stuck closed.

I like it when they have them set up in the store yopu you can here how quiet they are.
It's an interesting question - a bathroom volume may be 300 cubic feet with hard surface sound reflecting walls and the store volume is much more with no reflections.
How many dB difference in apparent loudness can you expect?

It's about the store not having any pipes hooked up to it. Once you have resistence in the pipe the fan chops the air instead of pushing it.

Latest posts

Back