Reinforcing floor for wood stove

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditchmonkey

Reaction score
We are working on getting a soapstone wood stove which weighs about 450 pounds. The hearth pad will add another 150 pounds at least to the total weight that will sit on the floor. I decided to get into the crawl space and see what's going on, and this being a very old house with decades of DIY stuff going on, I wasn't exactly impressed with what I saw down there. I think it would be prudent to reinforce the area where the stove will sit.

My idea was to run a few 4x6's along the floor and brace them on 4x6's sitting on concrete blocks. This is a very low crawlspace (barely big enough for a fella to slide around on his belly), so the distance that needs to be braced is very small. Any better ideas or comments on this?

It's quite uncomfortable getting down there. I'll see if I can get some measurements. My biggest concern is the beam closest to the stove which is split, a bit twisted, and somewhat poorly supported. I'm going to look at cutting a new trapdoor for easier access.

Just looking for an easier way in.:banana:

Actually, if you were going to suggest that I just cut straight through the floor then that's a maybe. The floor isn't in great shape anyway and I was thinking I would rather have the hearth pad built on the subfloor rather than just sitting on the existing flooring. If I cut out old subfloor under the pad (which is really old planks of wood) what would be the best replacement material?

Back