General Questions w/ Pics on 1st Time Shower Pan Build/Install

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amodoko

Reaction score
If anyone here doesn't mind answering a few questions, I'll just list them below. I greatly appreciate any help since this is the first time I've done a shower pan and just want to do it right. I've attached some photos, but basically I am redoing my shower and have already removed the old shower and have things down to the studs.

1) First, one of the walls, the long wall, is an exterior wall. Do I need to install plastic sheeting there (there never was any there to begin with, but it looks like there used to be green board there) before I build my shower? Or can I just install Durock, then Red Gard the Durock cement board, then tile and be okay?

2) When removing the old fiberglass shower pan and drilling into the rubber gasket around the drain so the pan would remove easier, I ended up nicking parts of the PVC drain (as you can see in the photos) with the drill. Does this need to be repaired in some way before I install an adjustable drain kit? Or does the adjustable drain kit have something in it that kind of takes care of this issue?

3) As you can see from the photos, there is a hole in the concrete subfloor where the PVC drain is located. Obviously this needs to be filled. I was wondering what is the best way to fill in that hole so that when heavy/human weight is standing on the newly tiled shower pan, that it holds securely? Do I need to install plywood over the cement floor and then build my mortar bed? I'm a bit confused about the proper way to both fill that hole and to ensure it supports weight well.

4) Does anyone know specifically what kind of drain kit I need to install? There seem to be so many and I'm unsure if there is something specific I need to be looking for in order to install a drain prior to laying out the mortar bed/shower lining/etc.

5) When building my shower curb, if I end up just installing over my concrete floor, can I just use bricks and thinset to create the curb? Does it matter what type of bricks I use? If I end up having to lay down plywood to fix the hole issue (as mentioned above), then I can use plain/regular 2x4s, correct? I have heard that you should never used treated wood for some reason (maybe because of moisture content I'm assuming) and you should never create a wood curb if you are installing over a concrete subfloor.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am a bit overwhelmed with the idea of building a mortar shower pan, I can handle the wall prep/tiling but the shower pan is completely new to me.

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

I would seriously consider removing the fiberglass insulation and replacing it with foam. If moisture gets back there (and somehow it usually seems to) that will be a mess and a ripe bed for mold. When we look down into that hole, what are we looking at? Is it between floors (an upstairs bathroom)?

Man I have seen some tough-to-watch DIY videos, but that has to rank near the top.

Back