Printer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickmar

Reaction score
I know this is not an appliance but don't know where else to post it. My old HP printer gave up yesterday so am looking for a new one. I don't want the 3 in 1 machine, just a printer. Which is a good one and why?
Mick

Hello Mick:
I think a printer only will be hard to find, however I usually get the best deals at Best Buys.
Glenn

Micro Center or Circuit City here. I just check which has the features I want at the best price and the cost/availablity of the ink cartridges. I also avoid those with all the colors (RYB) in one cartridge, lest I'd have to buy them all to replace one.

Depends on what you need it for.

I had a color inkjet printer for a while, and it finally gave up. I don't need to print 81/2 X 11 in color, so I replaced it with an HP Laser Jet 1020. It's fast, and extremely reliable. I got it for just under $100.

Best would be black & white laser printer. The cost per page is pretty low. Doesn't have to be an HP. I've had a Brother 5040 for the last four years. Still going strong.

Ink jets are cheap to buy but the ink isn't. The cost per page can be high.A good compromise might be a B&W laser for mass production and an ink jet for occasional jobs.

Right now Comp USA is going out of business all over, they are completly shutting down. You might very well find some good deals there. I have a an Epson CX5400, I got it a couple years back, but you can check their site if you need something like this (its a all in one type).

If you are looking to print text documents and just plain everyday stuff I would reccomend HP again, If you are printing photos I would go for Canon.

I have a hp DeskJet 5655 which I got secondhand. It was owned by a graphic designer so I knew it was going to be able to print photos and stuff in color well. I've had no problems with it, and the ink is avg I guess. $30ish for color and $20 for black refills. I go through about 3-5 a year and I print quite a bit.

That's what you have to watch for- the ink. If you get a good deal on the printer but the ink is expensive, there goes your savings...

Back