Hot water has too far to go any hints

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlady0

greenlady0
Reaction score
any suggestion for having hot water arrive at its destination without wasting multiple gallons of water just to reach luke warm even when the temps outdoors have been in the 80's&90's for months now? The house was built in 1953 NE Ohio with a sub basement higher than a crawl space not tall enough for more than four or 5 steps down. The hot water tank is newish less than 5 yrs and 40 gal natural gas located in a utility room some 35-45' to its farthest run one bath at 35 one at 45. could another hotwater tank be installled between the two baths to shorten the run and therefore the cooling of the water as it flows thru the copper piping there is insulation at the floor but no insulation around the pipes although they are next to it. Anyu suggestions would be appreciated. PS there is never enough hot water for a good ladies shower...enough to wash,condition hair and shave legs and under arms takes too much readjusting if you turn water off inbetween. Thx

Move the tank closeer to were it's used or add a cirulating pump for instant hot water.
Google " hot water cirulating pump"

will check out these pumps...ruled out the tankless heater when replacing because I heard/read that there is still a lag of cold if it has a ways to go.would anyone recommend a tankles hwh be installed in the crawl space between the two bathrooms or would the pumps work better in anyones experience/opinion.Thx

The tankless water system is good but involve quit a bit of plumbing and a gas line or electrical work.
The regular pump cerculates water constantly with a return line back the tank and runs the bill up for that.
This new metlund-d-mand system attaches to the plumbing under the sink and pushes water from the hot side to the cold side until the water is warm and then turns itself off.
So no water is waisted and it can be hooked up to motion detector so when some one walks into the bathroom it start. I would think it might be able to have more than one motion detector so it would work for both bathrooms.

I really like the idea of the motion sensor any other recirculater had to be on a timer and soryy but I want it when I want it not a set schedule kind of household. Looks like it doesn't cost that much to run either.:trophy:

One other person here was using it and asked questions and nobody new what he was talking about. He never came back and told us how it worked out. So check it out before you buy and if you go for it, let us know how it works.

Latest posts

Back