Receptacle Box Size

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmersHouse

Reaction score
Hi, this is a great site for DIYers. We are buying a new clothes dryer, and while I am installing it, I want to upgrade the existing 220/240 volt 30 amp 3 plug wall receptacle to the newer 4 plug. I have a six foot piece of Romex 10/3 w/g that i will pull through a finished wall using the old 10/2 as a fish wire. The existing standard size rectangular receptacle box is metal and is flush mounted in the wall. Would it be appropriate to use the same box or should I add an extension on the front of the box because of the extra wire? It looks like space inside the box would be tight but doable without the extension but I want to do it the right way. I know how to safely do the connections, been replacing other wires for years but this box issue is new to me. Or would a wall mounted double box be better? Thanks in advance for your help.
KO

You should replace the box with a 2-gang box. The flush dryer receptacle will fit by itself into a 2-gang box.

Thank you. I'll get a double gang box, receptacle and cover when we get the dryer. The wall is sheetrock so replacing the box will be easy. Thanks again. :clap:

KO

No problem. A 2-gand dryer plate is standard issue for new installations these days so finding one should be no problem.

OK, thanks. That confirms my wife's statement that I am not a know-it-all. I didn't know a double ganger was standard for this type install. Oh well, there goes my ego. :D

KO

Hey Farmer, you are NOT required to disclose this to youtr wife! Just togh it out and claim you always knew a 2-gang was best because of the added wire and the better heat dissipation. She will think you are a genius and we will never rat you out. :D

Hey, that is a great idea. Thank you. Now my ego shall remain intact. Good thinking!

Latest posts

Back