plastic bead removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islander

Reaction score
I'm moving into a home soon that has plastic 'beading' on the corners? The walls are dark, the plastic is white. Am I able to pry this off, re-plaster, prime and paint? I'm not sure if 'beading' is the right term on it. Basically the corners have plastic 'guards' on them. It looks ridiculous.

How are they attached?
Got a picture?
When was the home built (what year)?

No pics, we assume ownership on the 12th of May. House was built in 83. Looks like they've been attached with a glue/adhesive of some sort. No nails or screws.

OK, I doubt "bead" is the correct reference. Sounds more like "corner protectors", I assume since they are glued-on they are a topical application. I have them in my house also.

Use a putty knife or chisel to pry them off. Scrape any of the adhesive that remains, then it may be necessary to Spackle whatever damage you may cause. No big deal this one is easy.:)

A home built in '83 will more than likely be drywall not plaster. That's even better for this repair. Spackle (fill) the damage then sand the Spackle if necessary. I think you can buy small hole repair kits at home centers that will include the right filler (Spackle) and the right sandpaper (if needed). If not, 100 or 150 grit sandpaper will work. Once sanded you're ready to repaint.:clap:

I would probably try using a hair dryer to warm up that corner protector.

The heat will soften the adhesive, and that will minimize any patching you have to do after getting the plastic off.

I expect mineral spirits would probably remove any residual adhesive off the corner.

And, of course, prime any bare spackle before painting.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll certainly give it a try.. the plastic is stained yellow in places. I hope it comes off easy

Back