Stuck horizontal sliding basement window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjs

Reaction score
In the house we bought, my dutiful wife went around testing the basement horizontal sideways sliding windows. These open to about a four foot deep, ~2'x4' window well.

When she closed (probably had to slam given the amount of dirt in the tracks) one of them, she said it gave a bit of a clunk, then refused to open. I figured this would be an easy fix...however:

When I try to open it, it seems to get stuck somewhere and rotates around that point within the frame...but I can't pinpoint an obstruction point.

What I've tested and tried:

Made sure the security latch was open

Run a shim all the way through both above and below the window: no obstructions that I could feel.

Raised the window...it raises in the frame evenly, enough to actually see the track, but the structure prevents it from being removed from the track without removing both ends...which I can't do because one end can't be exposed.

The sticking point seems to be near the bottom in the window jamb...but the window slides 1/2 inch vertically with no issues, so I can't if something there could be preventing it from moving horizontally.

Any thoughts on what I've missed or might try next?

Can you post some photos. Inside and out.
Years ago I heared of a guy that would go around and put a screw in windows from the outside. Month later he would go around looking for people who had tried to open the window and left it unlocked, he could then remove the screw and enter the house. He did this to 30 or 40 houses in my area.

Back