PVC window trim - putting it all together?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suobs

SuperMember
Reaction score
I've been browsing PVC window molding for trimming the outside of exterior windows in home centers and online. I also have a few books. But I'm not finding information on how the various pieces/profiles of trim go together to make a window casing, and what the whole assembly looks like when you're done. The windows are aluminum and some site-built wood non-opening windows that just need trim around them. I'm looking for something simple.

. . . from past experience with this kind of siding I would like to be sure the top edge and bottom sill slope outward and have a drip channel.

I'm finding an array of profiles (AZEK Moulding Styles & Sizes - Profiles for AZEK Moulding) and I am thinking I need a "drip cap" at the top (Drip Cap
AZM-197 11/16" x 1 5/8" x 16') and a sloped sill at the bottom (http://Sub Sill Nose AZM-6933 1 17/3...x 1 3/8” x 16’) with simple 1x verticals at the sides. Will this work or am I misunderstanding how these pieces work together? They both have odd design features (like the extension at the back of the sub sill nose) that don't seem meant to install on a flat surface. The drip cap has that bump at the top, not clear why or how it would integrate into flashing . . .

AZEK tells me sorting out all this is part of the fun of molding. I say that's not helpful and they could at least show some standard installation examples.

Back