stair repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidbrac

Reaction score
I am just about to start some work on the hall and landing and want to do some work on the stair banister, however l have not seen metal banister like this before and have searched the web and not been able to find how these were made.
There is some movement in the newel which l want to sort out but l am not sure how the bottom of the newel was fixed, it will either been a spike that is nailed in or a thread mechanism. I don't think it will be a thread as in 1860's threads were not common practise. However it is impossible to get into the underneath. I was thinking of chiselling out some wood around the newel and filling with epoxy resin to make the joint stronger. Anyone have any other ideas?

There is a broken balistrails , it is broken where it fits to the mahogany hand rail, it is a bent pin that hooks into a metal plate that rebates into the handrail (see photo) l am trying to come up with ways to repair this without removing the whole hand rail as it is bound to get damaged if l do.

any pointers to information or ideas would be appreciated.

1st photo newel into bullnose step
2nd photo newel
3rd photo balistrails fixing into handrail
4th photo broken balistrail

007.JPG

002.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

Last edited:
Nice stairs!!
The newel is easy, do what you already have planned for that area, and add a few drills 1'8 inch holes around it also.I would then use a polyurethane glue that will expand a little when it goes into the holes. Something like Gorilla glue works great, Then in those little holes, you put some round thick toothpicks to help fill. I fix antique chairs and tables like this all the time for customers. Works like a charm.
That spindle you will need to get a little more creative. Also with the glue, install a dowel that will go down into the spindle/(if there is a hole there) and up into the rail.
Good luck.

Back