Punching Bag From Ceiling Part 2

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashtonallen

Reaction score
After a number of suggestions, I put a 2X6 across 4 ceiling studs to hang a punching bag. I put 2 (5/16" X 4") lags at each 2X6 & stud junction (see attached picture). I made sure to drill out the 2X6 so that the top smooth part of the lag screw could freely spin in the 2X6 and not bind. I drilled the pilot holes in the ceiling stud about 1/2 the length of the screw, such that the leading half of the screw would eventually bite into un-drilled wood.

Somehow, things got off a little during the installation and as the head of the bolt got close to the 2X6, I snapped 2 in half. Therefore, two screws are missing and two of the other screws aren't flush but I can tell that if I tighten them any more, they are likely to snap too. I guess I didn't get the holes perfectly straight.

The 2X6 feels very secure to the ceiling, but I would appreciate some feedback. Should I just plug the 2 holes, associated with the snapped bolts and forget about it or should I take down the 2X6 and reinstall with lags the next size up in diameter, which would be 3/8. If I take it down and start over, can I re-use the same holes, if I increase from a 5/16 diameter lag to a 3/8 diameter lags?

The bag only weighs about 40 pounds and my little boy is not very big but when he starts punching and the bag gets momentum, it really swings around. I want to make sure everything will hold, and I'm willing to take it down and start over, but if it's "good enough" I don't really want to deal with it further.

After a number of suggestions, I put a 2X6 across 4 ceiling studs to hang a punching bag. I put 2 (5/16" X 4") lags at each 2X6 & stud junction (see attached picture). I made sure to drill out the 2X6 so that the top smooth part of the lag screw could freely spin in the 2X6 and not bind. I drilled the pilot holes in the ceiling stud about 1/2 the length of the screw, such that the leading half of the screw would eventually bite into un-drilled wood.

Somehow, things got off a little during the installation and as the head of the bolt got close to the 2X6, I snapped 2 in half. Therefore, two screws are missing and two of the other screws aren't flush but I can tell that if I tighten them any more, they are likely to snap too. I guess I didn't get the holes perfectly straight.

The 2X6 feels very secure to the ceiling, but I would appreciate some feedback. Should I just plug the 2 holes, associated with the snapped bolts and forget about it or should I take down the 2X6 and reinstall with lags the next size up in diameter, which would be 3/8. If I take it down and start over, can I re-use the same holes, if I increase from a 5/16 diameter lag to a 3/8 diameter lags?

The bag only weighs about 40 pounds and my little boy is not very big but when he starts punching and the bag gets momentum, it really swings around. I want to make sure everything will hold, and I'm willing to take it down and start over, but if it's "good enough" I don't really want to deal with it further.

Your pre drill was not deep enough if the two good screws are on the same side of the 2x6 I would fix it. Use the same hole with the same size screws.

Thank you for the quick reply Neil. So there is no problem re-using a lag bolt hole? Second, Would you suggest drilling the pilot the full length of the screw?

Thank you for the quick reply Neil. So there is no problem re-using a lag bolt hole? Second, Would you suggest drilling the pilot the full length of the screw?

If you drilled the hole to big it would have stripped out the wood, and we know that didn't happen and the bite in the wood is stronger than the screw so I would say yes drill full depth with the same size drill.

Back