20 year old latex over varnish badly cracked

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomtheElder

The kitchen in the house we bought 20 years ago was 30 year old knotty pine, presumably varnished. We painted over it with latex paint. I have no idea what preparation we did but likely light sanding (maybe liquid sand) and washing with TSP. Clearly inadequate. I think there was some cracking of the paint when we repainted 12 years ago, but not much. Now, a few areas are OK and some isn't too badly cracked but a lot is very badly cracked.

Removing the latex paint and properly preparing the varnish would be a massive project. Can I get away with thoroughly preparing the existing surface to provide plenty of tooth, filling the paint cracks with joint compound, sanding, and painting with 100% acrylic latex paint? Is there another alternative to removing the paint? Thanks.

Lets think about this for a min. It was preped wrong in the first place and it failed. And now you want to prep it wrong again. Not a great plan.
Remove all the paint and old sealer, prime it with a bonding primer and paint it with epoxy or enamal paint it should last as long as you live.

Thanks Joe. I was afraid that was the reply I would get. If I can talk my wife into it, I may just live with the cracking.

One idea is to just buy new doors and drawer fronts and just sand and refinish the boxes.
There's hundreds of companys selling them all premade.

Back