refreshing old AL siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
The aluminum siding on my house must be about thirty years old now, and every once in a while (we've been here for 22 years) we have to clean the siding because it collects dirt & grime and makes this gold-colored house look black. I am planning on power washing again and I was just wondering if there is a product that can make the siding smoother and more resistant to collecting dirt (I know, I know; it's called "paint").

I'm thinking there might be something like a Scotchgard or teflon spray or some cool & high-tech-ish product, that can be applied with the power-washer.

Have you asked the people that you bought the power washer from? They would probably know about any products like that that may exist.

Thanks for responding. I rented a power washer and the guy at the shop couldn't think of anything besides SimpleGreen ( I think that's the right name). But that wouldn't really be preventative.

I tough it out for a while longer and eventually get new siding.

Why not try Turtle Wax, which I've read is compatible for use with pressure washers? Could get you a few more years of looking decent before the grime sets in again (if you don't mind a slightly "shiney" look at first, to the place).

Thats actually a pretty good idea. The wax I imagine would prevent grime from sticking. Not sure how I would feel about a shiny house though. It probably wouldnt be that noticeable though.

I like the idea. Of course, I would have to consider how the excess spray would affect the property around the house. I bet the wax begonias would love it! :rolleyes:

I like the idea. Of course, I would have to consider how the excess spray would affect the property around the house. I bet the wax begonias would love it! :rolleyes:

Pick a non windy day or your yard will look fake and plastic :D

Back