Drip Edge on new roof. Poor job?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All:

The roofer has finally returned my calls and said he apologized for the poor job. He agreed that the cuts were made too deep and stated his crew often gets "a little out of control" at times. The crews that did this job were all young guys. BTW, the shingle work looks very nice.

He is offering to fix the drip edge, however he can't do it till spring because they are far to busy right now. I live in the NW US where we have snow in winter, and it's already getting quite cold.

I have asked him to send me his promise in writing, but I doubt he will.

He says he will have to loosen up all the hanger screws and then tuck the new drip edge back behind it. So that's his fix.

So, I'm stuck with the job until spring and hope he keeps his promise.

I don't want to get nasty with the guy. I'm just trying to be diplomatic at this point and work it out. I've checked his state contractor license and all is current. I should also add, I found this roofer through the recommendation of the BBB and read a few reviews on him which were all good.

Thanks everybody who commented and Happy Holidays.

The quick fix for a year or two would be to bend the end up so the tab can be put back in place, red tuck tape over it, it will hold it in place and keep water out.

If I was looking for a temporary fix till spring I would ask him to come out and tap the tabs they cut back down to close up the hole and then caulk the area with a white RTV.

It wouldn’t take a guy over an hour to do that and they wont be catching ice and snow or letting water run back behind the gutter.

Then he can come back and redo it in the spring. My guess is if he has to come out and do that he will just do it right now and be done with it. Word of mouth is very important in that kind of a business. Come spring he will be busy with new work and some of these guys like to put things off hoping people will just forget. What he said to you that his crew gets a little out of control sometimes I would never say to a customer. It is his job to keep them under control and to look the job over before they leave the site. It is attention to details that you don’t see that makes the job.

Back