Is it a crime to be self taught?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanician

Reaction score
Greetings to fellow Project Tacklers,

Now that this dinosaur has decided to bite the bullet and start casual digital pc communications (web & email), I find it is actually quite a resource. A resource I hope not only brings me prosperity, but others as well. I wish everyone within "earshot" a good day.

As one could surmise from my username I am quite a capable individual that has learned much or most of my personal database as a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Hard Knocks - Ohio. This degree however seems to be the key ingredient in receiving bias, misdirection and downright barred access to information regarding home utility line maintenance. It seams one cannot get any in-road to what standards are to be followed, who inspects it, and what actual amount of work that can be performed by myself. Attempts to contact local professionals for consulting are met with the self-preserving, "Work has to be certifiable" or similar blank-stare non-help response that any self-taught person is quite familiar with. All I have been able to glean so far is that in Ohio, I am responsible for the lines that come on to my property. I cannot confirm, however, that a person whom has personally been responsible for design building and testing systems and equipment that were far more demanding and complex than household electric, gas and water, is politically and legally prevented from performing this required line maintenance or repair. Can anyone tell me the scoop?

Thank you for the well wishing of prosperity, and the good day. So far so good.
This issue is best answered by your local utility company. Then your building department should answer any unresolved issues.
Welcome to the political process of DIY.:)

The short answer to your question: You're not a part of the brotherhood.

People who worked their way through electrical engineering and earned their degree and license are not keen on sharing their hard earned knowledge with those of us who have not paid the dues. I say those of us because I too am not allowd access to such information. Unless I'm in charge of a project, electricians, plumbers, heating servicemen, etc... do not care to discuss the details of their trade with me. :eek:

As I posted before, I ran into an electrical forum that requires you to be a licensed electrician to join (no outsiders).
Good thing electricity is very predictable and finite.
I even ran into an HVAC Tech that would not perform any diagnostics or repairs while you were watching.
To the best of my knowledge, here in MI, everything this side of the 100Amp main breaker is my responsibility. Everything on the opposite side of the 100Amp main breaker is the utility companies responsibility.

To the best of my knowledge, here in MI, everything this side of the 100Amp main breaker is my responsibility. Everything on the opposite side of the 100Amp main breaker is the utility companies responsibility.

Close. The power company is responsible for everything before the gooseneck at the top of the mast outside your house. The electrician is responsible for the mast, meter socket, and service feeders as well as the inside of the home.

Back