Painted Cement Floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMD47

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a three part question regarding my basement floors. First, my 2 car garage has a cement floor that was painted over with either cement floor paint and again a few years later with deck or porch floor paint. Both are peeling in spots. My guess is that the first coat wasn't primed for the second coat later. Is there a way to remove the paint completely off the floor to prepare to do an epoxy job? or any other suggestions? I want a clean uniform look in the garage. :banana:
On the picture with the garage floor you can see the paint inside the door and the older paint chipped off from the weather on the outside lip of the garage entrance. Here, I poured some thin cement mixture on it to level the floor agaisnt the closed garage door last year and it's holding up so far, (the lighter clean areas outside on the lip)

Can a product like Pour a Floor or any self leveling floor cement http://www.acecreteproducts.com/products/pour_a_floor.pdf go on top of a floor that was painted some years back a couple of times (and different shades throughout)?

This same floor extends into a basement area/laundry room separated by a wall/door. As in the picture; in this room, areas have been painted like in the garage, there is also a section of glued down tight old linolium tiles over the cement (that's old blue painters tape) and in another area like this it is also covered with old indoor/outdoor carpeting (pushed up). Since the water main pipe was replaced down there, there has been no leaking and flooding or backups from the laundry and sump pump system. I'd like to have this basement area floor uniform with a low maintenance cleaning/care. I have thought about linolium over the entire surface of the floor in the basement or replacing and covering it entirely with new indoor/outdoor carpeting. Any suggestions? The carper comes up easily. Is it possible to start again over this and use self leveling floor cement over these tiles and the painted floor?

As for the garage floor with the paint...any suggestions for removal of the paint or covering it with something less resistant to scrapes, tire burn and peeling?
Thanks,
Sue

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

To do this correctly, you really need to remove the paint. Whatever you put on top is only going to stick as good as what's down there.
You can rent a shot blaster an remove the paint pretty easily!

To do this correctly, you really need to remove the paint. Whatever you put on top is only going to stick as good as what's down there.
You can rent a shot blaster an remove the paint pretty easily!
Thanks so much for your reponse tilemandan. Shot blaster, what is it and is it easy to use. What kind of power does it take, gas or electric and from where might I rent one? Is it anything like a power washer? I have a really good one of those; gas powered but it would just wet everything up.

A shot blasted runs on electric, it's almost like a sandblasted but uses metal beads ( similar to ball bearings) most tool rental places will have them available for rent.
Google shot blaster and you'll see what type of machine I am talking about

Back