Full frame windows vs. inserts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew2000

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have met with several window companies, they each recommend insert windows for my 1990's-era townhouse.

Several friends have recommended full frame replacements with nailing fins. One friend recommended finding a carpenter who installs windows, rather than a window company.

Some of the contractors I have met with have suggested that installing full frame replacements will be so costly that it is foolish. However, I don't trust them because they may just want a faster installation for their crew.

My question:

Is installing full frame replacements a fool's errand? Is it going to be very costly compared to insert windows?

I realize that job costs always vary. However, I need to find out if pursuing full frame replacements is a wild goose chase or something that normal people actually do (vs. rich people with money to throw away).

Thanks, :)
Drew

Last edited:
Most problems related to windows was poor installation. Window replacement companys, sell windows and want to get in and out. We find that the average house with one or two windows with deeper problems and re-framing is called for. I agree with your freinds but that being said, it would cost more money and there may not be a problem to fix. I do like to update to the newest proceedures and materials.

Ahhh ok. Thanks Nealtw!

We have 3-4 windows that have serious rot in the frames, and about 14 more that seem fine.

So you would suggest installing full-frame replacements in the "problem windows" and inserts in the rest?

Thank you,

Drew

If you have 3-4 windows with "serious rot" in a structure built in the 1990's, then I agree with Neal. Something was not done correctly in the original build and if you put in inserts you will soon have more rot. You need to get to the root of the problem and fix it now. If that means you do the worst ones first and replace the rest when you can afford it so be it. Sounds like inferior or no flashing installed originally.

Back