Any sailors out there?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do make waterproof handheld marine radios but the issue is usually not being in range.

But I guess the movie would be less dramatic if they had proper working safety equipment.

Because of this "Black Swan" event they will probably double the battery life for the black box.

But I guess the movie would be less dramatic if they had proper working safety equipment.
Yes and the movies also do this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina
a lot.

God never came out of any machine and saved my butt or the butts of many other people. . .:(
She was probably too busy elsewhere. . .:(

And the new James Bond did a stunt that would rip the arms out of normal people. I know this because of the design of fall arrest harnesses.

The more I know the less I like these kinds of films. They get away with violating the laws of physics and of probability several times within a single film (?)

And in The Perfect Storm a sailboat capsized and then righted itself again. I'd think a sail underwater would be more drag than could be overcome by a strong wind on a large smooth keel.

Last edited:
Actually, a sailboat righting itself is pretty common. The keel is usually made of lead and depending on its size will be quite a few tons. It acts as a counter balance.
You'll also find the the sails will get shredded and have little resistance on the boats ability to righting itself.

Back