bowed wall, squeeky floor, cracked drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circuiteds

Reaction score
I bought a new construction six years ago. I have a couple of issues that make me nervous. The kitchen has an outside wall with cabinets hanging. The wall is bowed out in the middle. There is an inch gap between the floor cabinets and the wall. The gap is getting bigger because the granite countertops now have a 1/4 inch gap from where they were installed.

The kitchen also has a slight slope towards the middle of the house. I didn't expect the house to do that since there is a steel beam in the foundation.

The tile in my entry way is all cracked too. It looks like the house might sag a little in the middle.

Any idea who you would call to look at this. I don't think it's a foundation issue since the wall in the basement looks fine and is plumb.

I bought a new construction six years ago. I have a couple of issues that make me nervous. The kitchen has an outside wall with cabinets hanging. The wall is bowed out in the middle. There is an inch gap between the floor cabinets and the wall. The gap is getting bigger because the granite countertops now have a 1/4 inch gap from where they were installed.

The kitchen also has a slight slope towards the middle of the house. I didn't expect the house to do that since there is a steel beam in the foundation.

The tile in my entry way is all cracked too. It looks like the house might sag a little in the middle.

Any idea who you would call to look at this. I don't think it's a foundation issue since the wall in the basement looks fine and is plumb.
I would call out a building engineer or building inspector,new homes are sometimes prone to a little settlement but this sounds a bit more than that.
Get a professional opinion ,if there is something amiss then at least you have a report to show to the construction company that built the house.You should still be under warranty so hopefully they will take care of any repairs.

Latest posts

Back