New outlet in workshop

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I would like to add a new outlet in my workshop and was wondering is this something a DIY'er could do on his own or should I contact a electrician? any help on how to do this wold be great? maybe a tutorial or something?

Thanks

Jeremy

Well you question is profoundly vague.

If you want to add a receptacle right under or above an existing one it is super simple. If there is no power anywhere near the new location, and everything is finished walls around, it could be a nightmare.
It all depends on the situation.

Personally I think tutorials for things like this are extremely irresponsible. They treat jobs like this like they are cookie cutter. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Sure, many times a job is exactly like another, if you do this long enough. That said, EVERY job is different in some way, and every situation is different.

Well the spot where I want to add is unfinished and about 3 feet away from the breaker box. Maybe I should just call in a electrician?

This would be a very easy installation however, the level of difficulty is directly dependant on the skill level of the installer.
No disrespect intended but, I get the feeling your not 100% comfortable with electrical.
You will have to open the breaker panel to make the final hook up and that can be very dangerous as parts of the panel will always be energized.
If you'd like to give it a try, let us know and we can walk you through it.
Post pictures of the circuit path so we are not walking you through this blind.

By code, exposed wiring must be in conduit. If the Romex is inside the wall, then no conduit is required. Unless you know how to add a circuit in your breaker box or how to branch off an existing receptacle then I would NOT try this on your own. Electricians or highly qualified handymen would be your best bet.

By code, exposed wiring must be in conduit. If the Romex is inside the wall, then no conduit is required. Unless you know how to add a circuit in your breaker box or how to branch off an existing receptacle then I would NOT try this on your own. Electricians or highly qualified handymen would be your best bet.

Perhaps in CA but, not in MI. Best check your locality to get the requirements.

Just to be clear, the Romex is allowed to be strung through floor joists in an unfinished basement. However, my concern was the wiring drop along the wall to the receptacle. In CA, once the wiring crosses the plane of the joists, it must be protected in conduit or BX. Are you saying you can staple basic Romex to the basement wall and feed it into the wall mounted receptacle box? Whoa!

Just to be clear, the Romex is allowed to be strung through floor joists in an unfinished basement. However, my concern was the wiring drop along the wall to the receptacle. In CA, once the wiring crosses the plane of the joists, it must be protected in conduit or BX. Are you saying you can staple basic Romex to the basement wall and feed it into the wall mounted receptacle box? Whoa!

Romex will be enclosed in EMT or BX where it is subject to damage and/or heat.
i.e.- drop to a furnace, water heater or against a cement wall.

Back