Sump Pump Alarm

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimC

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build a house in an area with a relatively high water table. We are going to take every precaution possible to prevent water from getting in around the foundation in the first place...but wanted to know if anyone has advice about an alarm? We have a water alarm on the basement floor of our current house, but someone was telling me I should look into a sensor that can go down into the sump pit and give you more of a warning.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks!

The alarm I have has the option to detach the sensor from the alarm box connected by a long built-in wire.
I have the choice of setting the alarm on the floor but, my thought was that I wanted to be notified BEFORE the crock level overflowed onto the floor.
So I detached the sensor, let the crock fill to normal level just before the sump kicked on and set the sensors about an inch above the highest water level in the crock.
If the sump fails, the sensor will alarm shortly after the water level goes beyond normal height and I can start bailing.
As a backup, I installed two sumps in the crock. The secondary pump has it's float level set just a bit above the primary. So when I hear the alarm, I know I have a real problem.
Here's a link to one of the types with a wired sensor.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=-1&keyword=water+alert+alarm&storeId=10051

You may want to receive messages to your mobile device, that way you don't have to be home to hear the warning. We just started testing a new sump pump alarm that should hit the market very soon. Please check out pumpalarm.com for more information.

Latest posts

Back