Building a Workbench

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troykey

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am looking at building my very first workbench. Of course trying to keep costs down, but also want to make it to suit my needs. I found a plan that I like and seems simple enough to make on YouTube here: http://youtu.be/iGp-ZYE0d-8

I plan on making a few changes to it so I can get the most use out of it. I attached my general plan on what I would like to do with it, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Troy

Workbench.001.jpg

Welcome to the Fun House ... The advice is worth what you pay for it. We are all good with tools and computers :D

Yuor design is interesting. A portable bench? The casters will have to lock or it will run away from you. You can "block" the casters with 2x4s. Your top does not have to be plywood. You can use cheaper materials such as OSB. But I would attach a sheet of Hardboard (HDF) with the smooth side up on top of your OSB. It can be flipped when it gets messed up (end for end) or replaced. Cheaper than replacing a complete plywood top.

The height should be coordinated with the placement of your electrical outlets. Why the step-down? Coordinated with a tool like a miter saw?

Keep working on it! Should be very useful in the end.

hammer-to-computer.jpg

Thank you for the tips. The step down that you mentioned is for a tool. I have a router table. It will sit on the lower shelf, so when it is there the top of that will be flush with the rest of the workbench. The casters will only be on one end, the other four legs will be touching the ground, so I don't think it should roll anywhere. If so I can make blocks fr the wheels to keep it in place.

Troy

Back