Which wood flooring?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skid2964

Reaction score
The master bedroom(276 sq. ft.) in the house I just purchased has some worn out carpet, I want wood flooring in it now. I have looked on the Lowes and Home Depot websites and I really don't know what to buy in terms of best quality for each dollar spent.

I want a nice floor, but I don't really want to spend a fortune. But I can spend the money if it is the recommended thing to do.

Hello Skid:
Unfortunately, all the real wood (prefinished) floors are terribly expensive except the parquet style. The laminates are somewhat lower in price. I personally don't care for the laminates but they copy wood to an amazing degree and last very well. Talk to the folks at The Depot or Lowes, they can be very helpful.
Glenn

One thing to keep in mind is bedrooms receive the least amount of traffic and your usually in your socks or slippers. For this reason and a low budget at that time we used laminate flooring and are quite happy with it. I am a solid 3/4 hardwood fan. You get a lot more out of your money and if you drop something sharp on it, it can be repaired much easier than Laminate.
Another thing to keep in mind a laminate floor floats so when you walk on it it has a little give to it as opposed to solid wood has no give and some people do not like that.
When looking at laminate try to get one with the longest warranty

Back