Vinyl Window Wool Pile Weatherstrp Replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybeard47

Reaction score
I need to replace my wool pile fin weather stripping (example of: http://www.swisco.com/Gray-3-16/pd/Wool-Pile/58-021 ) on a few of my windows but the installation of the old is not as simple as some manufacturers have clips at the ends that are removed for easy strip handling. My end slots are solid but YouTube has a video clip titled "Replacing Weatherstripping: Helpful video from Window Depot USA" for my type of replacement: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI1nnAtm55c[/ame]. However, the spline tool is not shown well when it's used & I can only assume that the tool is wide & concave: one edge appears to insert itself on the pile weatherstripping and the side rides on the frame of the window.

Has anyone actually done this repair using the above video technique or similar? A tool to use for the same purpose?

Another technique shows drilling a hole in the strip channel but not keen at all on it.

Thank you

Welcome to the site. It look like they are just using the roller that is used for window screens. I haven't changed one of these but with window screens I would just use what ever is laying around that fits into the slot and will slide along the spline.

The only spline tool mentioned in the video is for window screens. However, if you have ever used one that is readily available from a big box store or a local hardware store they are of pathetic China quality. I tried one and it failed badly.

It's apparent that since the video was produced by a major vinyl window manufacturer the tool was higher end and more contusive to this task other than just for door/window screens. So my best hope is that someone knows about this better mouse trap and can tell us what it is and where to obtain it.

Back