Water damaged flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnygal

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I had a water pipe leak (within my wall) that damaged my hallway, kitchen and guest bathroom flooring. The plumber fixed the pipe and the dryout company ripped out the flooring and drywall that was affected by the water and dried the areas out.

Due to my low insurance limit, I am looking for ways to keep the repair costs down. My insurance adjuster suggested tearing out all of my flooring in the common area so the repair of my laminate flooring will look consistant. Unfortunately, his estimate exceeds my insurance limit. :( With this in mind, his assessed damages included replacing ALL of my flooring which connects to the hallway and kitchen. Replacing all of it is far larger and more expensive than fixing a section of it.

After looking at the areas that need to be fixed, I am wondering if it is possible to "patch up" the areas rather than replace all of it. I have been warned that since my laminate is 6 years old, they may not carry the same color.

I am not too worried about the bathroom because I had vinyl. I assume this is budget-friendlier?

Also, would it be more cost effective to get work done by a flooring guy versus hired a gen contractor? I don't think a gen contractor will even waste his time on my repairs unless I plan on replacing all of my flooring.

I am hoping to get bids in the next few days. What do I ask them when getting bids?

This is my first time dealing with such large repairs so I am nervous. Sorry for all the questions. I just hope to learn more before diving into this project. Thanks for your input!

Welcome Sunnygal:
Real wood is not all the same color unless it is stained, so some flooring being a little different color would just make it look more natural; give it some personality.
Yes the vinyl in the bath is more economical, once you take up the commode and the old vinyl, it is fairly simple to lay a new floor.
I would go with a flooring contractor, they will be happy to give you a bid.
You should ask any contractor for references (and check them), proof of liability insurance and proof of worker's compensation insurance.
Glenn

I believe you can get a better pricing with a flooring contractor. And yes, check the references... check the local Better Business Bureau form complaints or recommendations on each bidder.

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to do the vinyl flooring in the bathroom myself and maybe the Pergo in other areas, if patching is possible. I have no experience with flooring but bathroom vinyl looks easy enough. What do you all think? Would it be worth it to do it myself?

Also, can Pergo be patched up? The water damaged planks were ripped up but the rest of the flooring is intact. Has anyone patched up Pergo before?

I am very curious to see if it is possible.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Back