Window Installation Concerns

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axon44

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. Posting to get some information prior to meeting with contractor for repair. I had replacement windows installed in mid-May and I've been noticing some issues that I'm not happy with. I'm not familiar with windows so I don't know how legitimate my concerns are. A rep from the company is coming out later this week to see/hear my concerns. Hoping to get educated quick so I know what I'm talking about. First I should say, the windows are doing their job (seemingly). However, the actual installation work and attention to detail leaves something to be desired. One window seems to be installed noticeably crooked. This became apparent when I re-hung blinds. The left side of the window is installed deeper than the right (not the blinds, trust me, I measured the difference). Next, the installers seemed to have missed a large line of caulk on upper floor windows. Seems like they ran out of caulk mid line and forgot to finish. Overall, the caulk job on all windows is sub-par... Not neat at all. I could have done a better job with only the experience from caulking my bath tub. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I'm not thrilled with the capping job. I've never seen window capping look so unfinished and unprofessional. I'm especially concerned with moisture penetration at the bottom. The owner of the company says:

"Capping is never totally caulked due to it has to breath if you ever have a water leak somewhere else (that is why we overlap it)."

Please see attached as sample of the work. This is also the window that is installed crooked.

I appreciate any and all advice heading into this conversation later this week.

Thanks in advance,
Shaun

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

He is right about the caulking at the bottom, wish you had dropped be earlier, I would have tried to talk you out of this type of replacement but for the most part he has installed what he contracted for.He should have worked at getting everything level plumb and pretty.

with so many websites that allow you to review a company, make sure that the rep knows that you plan on posting a review, either good or bad depending on how they resolve your issues.That will get his attention.

Back