I found the rest of the mold!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
I was sleeping right over the stuff no wonder it was making me sick with allergies. I take it the guy who built the subfloor used so sort of reclaimed lumber! I don't know but it is looking like i will have to gut it the entire attic floor.

Couple of questions:
1) What should i use for flooring up there? Would 3/4" good quality plywood be okay? Then would be some carpet. Other idea was 3/4" T&G pine flooring.

2) Maybe bit crazy but what about leaving those first too joists open ? Put a little railing around it? Lets in lots of light a nice loft feeling, but little crazy.

(yes neil i am going to double that joist right now actually)

crazy house.jpg

Last edited:
bit like this:
images

btw, should insulate the ceiling of the side entrance way, which would be on the second floor? I was planning on insulating the basement ceilings, so that entrance way would be a cold place. Also the walls of the entrance way. A small stain glass window will be above the french door!

Once in a while I check unanswered threads, it wouldn't have showed up there because you posted a second comment.
The only problem with an open ceiling is the fire thing, that gives you no time to excape the smoke,never mind the fire. But people do it all the time.
Leaving the entry as a cold zone dosn't sound like a bad idea, never thought about that. Others may have thoughts on it.

Hi Neal, who is BC these days. I think that would the next future flip maybe in the Okanagan Valley should about right.

Anyways i still like this house and more and more i am understand what to do. Should have gutted more not less right in the beginning. Ya it's almost a year since i've been doing this.
Reclaimed lumbar is amazing no? Took me this long to figure out. That's my hope for these forums is that someone could have clued me in 10 months ago.

i want gut this dry wall and open up more. Basically the previous owner where a bit retarded and seem to have always done something funny. What i see is some brown fiber board underneath that dry wall for example.
You can see the wall on the right is not structural right? Was this common with only two support posts. Wouldn't have a structural post landing not on joist? i can fix everything now properly. I was going to take out the side walls. The knee walls are obviously neccessary as structure. But only 2 post doesn't seem enough. I could put another beam there.

jungle_homes1276.jpg

jungle_homes1277.jpg

jungle_homes1278.jpg

Two posts may be alright depending on size and load. A lot depends on how the floor was structured around the stairs and was it all supported to footings in the basement.
When we get into housee like yours the first thing we do is call for an engineers report.

I don't see a need for an engineer, i tend to think it is common sense, here you can see schematic, before and after for the post areas. On the left is how it is now, and on the right as i plan to do.

The posts in the basement have worked well and are very solid. As it now i just remove 1.5 TONS of old wood subfloor from up there, yes holy crap all by myself.

I'm just guessing about the second wall, it is probably not as many studs there as i imagine. The thing is, the 2nd wall is not sitting on anything, i guess i will install another joist 3" . I guess at the time 2 posts seemed okay, presumable the structure further up toward the room is sound. I don't really want to open that dry wall up of the ceiling.... sign/

house structure.jpg

Last edited:
Like you say, it is still standing, it is a little scarey when you don't know who as removed walls and such.

I do have to say Jungle I have seen a lot of houses and even more photos of houses and I don’t think I have seen anything quite as unique as yours.

Ever think of changing your screen name from Jungle to Jenga? Perfect name for a firewood homeowner I think.
;)

It's getting better and better all the time, the open ceilings just makes the mind sore. It's like the house i always wanted. The down side is the crib like beds on the platforms. Basically you go up the stairs and that's it, your in bed.

I don't think anyone has taken any structural walls out, on the up side i have remove around 3 tons of old material from 2nd floor, not to mention the rot wood. The house must be much lighter now. The joists are completely exposed now too, so i can adjust make them stronger even level.
House is much more airy now and almost mold free, just a few tiny spots to still cut out. I was reading this is what they call a 'green house' design, people will pay more for.
Using reclaimed lumber in house is just nuts - now that is scary stuff! No wonder the RE agent is so paranoid when she sees me, probably worried about being sued. I am sure plenty of people know about he reclaimed lumber problem (except me.)
Interesting my neighbours house was built in 1985 and roof is already sagging, so i guess 1949 was not such a bad year for houses.

Latest posts

Back