Wireless water heater control

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm, anyone else concerned with the bacteria buildup that will occur every time you turn down the tank so save a penny or two?

No thanks!

In large-scale water systems water should be stored at 140 °F or more at all times. In small-scale water systems which are less complex and have less stagnation it's less critical though.

If you do go ahead with this I'd check the water every once in a while for legionella.

If you allow a large water heater to cool down, the time it will take to reheat all that water will be significant. Also, the longer run time to reheat will negate some of your savings.
On the other hand, mechanical timers for water heaters have been around for a long time; same basic idea. I don't know how much an app will help.

If you allow a large water heater to cool down, the time it will take to reheat all that water will be significant. Also, the longer run time to reheat will negate some of your savings.
On the other hand, mechanical timers for water heaters have been around for a long time; same basic idea. I don't know how much an app will help.

If you only get to the cabin once in a while you might turn it off and maybe you could start it hrs before you arrive. Or at home when you leave for extended times.

Back