New here, 50 year plumbing contractor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTiger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I came across this site from a link on a different forum. Thank you to those that have already welcomed me.

And let me apologize now for some of my posts might come of a bit harsh. I have nothing against someone doing their own plumbing, but I do have something against them blatantly doing it wrong and against plumbing codes. Most cities require you to get a permit if you change or modify your plumbing in any way, this includes changing out shower faucets, water heaters, anything that requires you to do something with the piping. They do not require a permit for minor repairs like changing a washer or cartridge, or parts in a water closet. Also most will allow the home owner to do their own plumbing as long as they get a permit and get it inspected. This is only to help you do your plumbing repairs and modifications properly. This way you can avoid costly mistakes like using pex on a tub spout line for a tub and shower valve.

Sorry about the little rant, but I just want you all to do your plumbing properly and safely and to code so no one in your home gets hurt, or sick.

Excellent post and you are right about doing things correctly. Most of the time doing a repair the proper way doesn't take anymore time than botching it up entirely.

Welcome to the site and hope you can be an asset and resource to our DIY folks round here.

Just curious, in your experience, if re-piping the house, would you suggest veering away from a PEX setup? ive heard mixed reviews, what is your thoughts?

Back