Base molding or wood floors first, which one is right?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a carpenter and a flooring guy, The carpenter said he puts the base molding in first and then they install the wood floors.

The flooring guy said that the wood goes in first and then the base moldings cover the edges.

My question is which one is right? Thanks

Ask the carpenter how he gets the last peice in and pushes the tongue and groove together, every time he does that, the flooring guy adds a corner round to the molding. It's common to put molding in first when installing carpet.

If I am doing the floor and the base is not already in place I would put the floor down first. That way I can put the floor close enough to the wall that I eliminate the need for quarter round in addition to the base molding. It also depends on the flooring. If I am puting down full 3/4" hardwood I don't want to hide that much of my base. If it is a floating type floor that that is fairly thin then that is not much of an issue. If your base is 7/16" thick then sometimes it is not enough to cover the gap between the floor and the wall and you need a quarter round to make every thing cover correctly. Lots of variables. Hope that helps.

i would prefer not to have half round, i can see the argument for both guys as each case makes it easier for them. But for me, the home owner, i want it looking great, not whats easier for the guys.

I will have the base molding in first and then have the flooring from what i have read.

Thanks guys

Back