Parging Cement vs. Non-Shrinking Grout

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

il_reno

Reaction score
My basement walls are very old poured concrete, and the outside was recently completely excavated and waterproofed. Smaller cracks and holes were filled with non-shrinking grout, as is usually done.
I now want to fix broken and flaking areas on the interior wall. Some are crevices or small (shallow) holes where I have tapped and scrubbed out loose material, e.g. around windows, and similar. These parts I will fill also with non-shrinking grout as on the outside, given that they are deeper "holes". Other areas have become very rough over a larger section just from loose material.

My question: What material is best to use on the larger flaking areas? While parging mix (parging cement) would seem good just for a superficial coating, these areas are bad enough that they almost need some strength added, or need "repairing" - and here is why I am thinking non-shrinking grout.

What really would be the difference between parging mix and non-shrinking grout here?

Thanks.

I would wire brush those areas and use hydrolic cement. It expands and holds far better the any other mix. Then for looks you could parge over it.

Latest posts

Back